SPF Fitness Facts
Sports Paradise Fundamentals is a program designed to encourage children to eat at least 5 fruits a day along other healthy eating alternatives, read a book, or do something other than play video games and watch television, participate in at least 1 hour of physical activity, and make a pledge to drink healthy drinks instead of high fructose carbonated drinks.
- Children will be allowed to participate in competitive sports
- SPF follows the MS Curriculum for PE and incorporates the fundamentals into the program
- SPF teaches the Benefits of Exercise and healthy living
- Mississippi is known as the fattest state in the US. It is our goal to help our youth fight obesity at an early age where diet and exercise can start early and become a normal way of life for them now and in the future.
- Childhood obesity rates have doubled in the last 20 years. The obesity rates continue to grow due to a lack of physical exercise ad unhealthy eating habits.
- Obesity increases the risk for health conditions like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Children who are overweight are targets for bullying, low self-esteem, and affect their ability have an enjoyable educational experience.
The following link discusses how exercise help a school district improve it test scores. http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4764808n